Thursday, August 1, 2013

Joy in wisdom

I kings 4

In this chapter the author recounts the grandeur of Solomon: building projects, daily allotment for food, and horses and chariots. Above them all was the means by which he attained them, wisdom.

It is this item of wisdom that I wonder greatly about. James defines wisdom as the necessary lenses by which to see the world in the midst of our trials. For James, it is not a means of gaining wealth but of understanding exactly what God is doing and wants to do. Wisdom in the New Testament often is surrounded by hardship and the joy found supernaturally within. And yet Solomon uses his wisdom to build a kingdom that would be his spiritual demise. He multiplied all three things that God forbade His kings to multiply, gold, horses, and wives. Solomon's wisdom did not achieve the glory of God beyond the supernatural wisdom that Solomon was given to achieve his selfish ends.

Father, It is so much easier to ask you for the comforts and successes of life than to ask for wisdom that finds you in necessary trials. My flesh wishes for a success story in wealth and ministry. It is hard to submit to Your will knowing that it contains the hardships that make me resolute for your cause. In light of this I cannot ask for the wisdom of Solomon. I must ask for something more. Father, please grant me wisdom that will provide for my children, guide my hands in leadership for your church, and foremost keep me firmly entrenched in Your presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment