Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Joy in the Spontaneous Living Word

Joy in the Spontaneous Living Word

Today I write from a spontaneous delight in the Scriptures.  Some days my study of the Scriptures seem like just a discipline that is well worth it's diligence.  Many days, I open God's Word to find a message for my people and I find good food whose importance cannot be diminished.  However, there are some days like today when the study of the Scriptures is what it says about itself, "living and active."  

As I was studying for Bible study tonight in the Book of John chapter 7 the words leaped from the page to a soul that was barren enough to cry for them.  The book of John is high drama mixed with deep Theology.  In Chapter 7 Jesus shows us that there is always a plan in place.  "It was not his time" so He stayed behind and told His disciples to go to the feast of Booths without Him.  Jesus didn't go immediately not because He was afraid or that the Heavenly Father was not able to protect Him.  Jesus stayed behind to create the drama that would come when He arrived openly in the middle of the feast.  He cried out "if anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink...streams of living water will flow from within him."  As Jesus faced imminent danger, His plea was not for mercy from the crowds.  He was not there to talk them into following Him.  He was not there to make friends of enemies.  Jesus was there crying out to the thirsty children of Israel.  He was there not to speak logic to murderous men but to speak life to those who knew they needed it.  He was willing to stare down death that day knowing that His time was not full to die.  Not long after this speech He would stare down death for the thirsty of the land and it would be His time.  He would taste death to bring the rivers of living water to the world, of which I am blessedly a partaker.

Father, thank you for an example of love and courage.  Thank you for allowing Your son to come not as a high King but as a lowly servant.  Thank you for loving me enough to pour out living water on my thirsty soul.  Thank you for setting an example through Your Son of how to walk faithfully on treacherous roads.  As I follow you as others follow me, Your words speak hope and promise power.

No comments:

Post a Comment