Thursday, August 22, 2013

Joy in contentment

1 kings 21


In the study of the kings of Israel one must expect a certain lusting after all one sees. In the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen, " a rich mans not happy until he's a king, a kings not happy until he rules everything." Ahab finds himself staring longingly from his palace window into a vineyard owned by Naboth and his family. I do not pretend to understand why Ahab wanted this vineyard nor the slow working of jealousy as he peered at it daily. I suspect Naboth also looked longfully at the palace and wished to be in Ahabs position. However, in this story it is Ahab who has the resources to actually own Naboth's vineyard. The story ends tragically with Naboth wrongfully executed through Jezebels sly hand. Ahab is left wandering his new vineyard in what one would expect a certain diminishing of returns.


The reflection this morning is on that seed within Ahab that caused him to want a small vineyard outside his palace. Ahab had the resources of the whole kingdom at his command. The best grapes were his. However, its not the best grapes he wants but rather the grapes he doesn't have. His thirst to own everything left his mouth dry and his hands bloody in the end. Is this not how it goes every time?


There is a thirst for what we do not have. There is a longing for happiness in fields we have never trod. Certainly there is joy in the fields of labor and pleasure. Certainly I myself have found joy in a wife, child, and job that I once did not posses. The problem is not in enjoying what we have and working to receive more blessings. The problem is when one child, one wife, one job is not enough and another must be had to continue in happiness. Joy is certainly not found in the quantity of possessions. Joy is found when one understands as Paul did, that contentment truly is great gain. Joy is found in the blessings I already have. In fact there is so much joy in what I have at this very moment that my greatest challenge is to try and consume the joy already overflowing and at my immediate disposal. A reflection of these blessings causes my heart to swell and sing in unison with Paul in Philippians 4 "rejoice in the LORD always and again I say rejoice!"


Father let me find the joy available to me at this moment. Your blessings are new each day. Let my heart rejoice in Your ever faithful goodness. My soul knows no greater treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment