Thursday, October 17, 2013

Joy in Never Being Forgotten

Nehemiah live a life of risk and sacrifice.  His burden for his people was so great that he risked his life by approaching the great king of Babylon. He took the heat from Sanballett and the Samaritans wagering his own life for the life of his people.  In chapter 5 we find Nehemiah's personal remarks as to his food intake.  Although the governors before him followed the traditions of the day and asked for food rations, Nehemiah instead provided his own rations.  He could have lived like a king.  Nehemiah instead chose to live for The King.  He ends his report with a personal remark, "remember for my good, oh my God, all I have done for these people."

Nehemiah's words strike a note in my own heart.  God asked me to wager my own life for the preservation of my church.  I followed His commands and the risk came up short on my end.  Instead of a hero I am the scourge.  Instead of success I have found failure if only in human eyes.  What have I to say about these on goings?  I repeat the words of Nehemiah, " remember me for good, oh my God, for all I have done for these people."  

I'm sure Nehemiah faced many days when the goodness of his actions were made suspect to his eyes. However, in the obedience of God nehemiah was never forgotten by his God.  There is a peace that Gods servants know well. Nehemiah knew it.  Father, you have deemed me well esteemed to know it as well. No matter the storms that may still yet to blow in this crazy life You have called me to, put a chain upon my heart that will never let it doubt that I am never forgotten by my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment