Sunday, October 6, 2013

Joy in courageous obedience

2 Kings 23

The purge of Josiah gives me chills when I read it.  He was the son of wicked parents who found the words of the Law.  After hearing YHWYs commands to follow Him only, Josiah purged all of Israel and even the surrounding Northern Territory of all idolatrous alters.  You can see the very hand of God through Josiah as he tears down the alters that God had previously sent a prophet to foretell.

I marvel at the courage of Josiah in these matters. He was still a very young king.  I can imagine his advisors becoming angry at his decisions.  I can hear the threat of revolt from his subjects.  Josiah went after the idols who had stolen Israel's heart.  This was not a small issue for the adulterous Israelites.  And yet Josiah proceeded with his purge unflinchingly.  No more children were to be sacrificed because there would no longer be a place to sacrifice them!  

I respect the courage of Josiah as I learn about the uncompromising commands of God.  There is no half way with Him.  As He thunders from His mountain, there is no God beside Him.  All other gods are not just ignorant worship of a fake god.  All other worship is to defy the very God who thunders.  There is no other way to approach Him.

I look back at the times in my own life when I obeyed God halfway due to the pressures of outside revolt.  From my childhood to my life as a pastor, there where many days when my obedience fell short of tearing down the idols themselves rather than just promising not to use them.  It is so easy to rationalize a half hearted obedience to God when the impending result of my complete obedience would cause great destruction.  The truth is that the only destruction I should care about is the destruction that comes from not obeying His commands in full.

Father, Your grace has already covered my past weakness in the fullfilment of Your commands.  Thank you for this pardon and the patient heart behind it.  Give me the courage to follow you with a resolute unbending commitment to Your commands regardless of the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment